Sunday, November 24, 2013

Book Report Dress

 With church choir dress code being white top, black bottom, I have been looking for dress patterns that can easily be color blocked... the Book Report Dress came to the rescue!

 The white wool felt bow and the black fabric-covered headband that I made matched this outfit perfectly.

 The hidden on-seam front pockets are my favorite detail on this dress.
 Project details
Pattern: Oliver + S Book Report Dress (difficulty level: 2 out of 4 scissors)
Size: 5
Modifications: I added one inch in length to the bodice and one inch in length to the skirt
Fabric: fine wale corduroy (got the idea to use light weight corduroy from Cindy at Siestas and Sewing) I've worked with stretchy corduroy before when I sewed up a pair of Oliver + S Art Museum Trousers. I got frustrated with how the paper pattern pieces kept sliding on top of the corduroy with I was trying to cut them out. This time around I traced pattern pieces onto freezer paper and ironed them onto the back of the corduroy. Much better results!
Notions: 6 white and black cat buttons (made in France) because someone around here likes kitty cats >^..^<
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!