Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Reflections + Looking Ahead to 2014

 Sew, Mama, Sew is asking sewing bloggers to reflect on 2013 and look ahead to 2014 by answering these questions…

Looking back on 2013, what trends stand out?
  • Sewing Belgian style children's clothing, Belgian sewing bloggers releasing their first PDF sewing patterns, see here and here.
  • More collaborative projects among bloggers whether it be hosting sewing blog series or releasing sewing patterns together.

Whose work inspired or awed you?

What did you make that you’re most proud of?
The Great British Sewing Bee dress. I thoroughly found enjoyment going through every single step of the entire process and I did my very best sewing.

 My most well received item was the Striped Dress. The Plaid dress, Checkerboard dress, and Tricolor Chevron were next up on the list.

A theme for 2013 for me could have been Europe (Sweden, Great Britain, Belgium, France, Italy). Not that it was planned that way, it just turned out that this past year quite a bit of my inspiration came from Europe (and European designers).

Sweden

Sweden

Great Britain

Great Britain

Belgium

Belgium

Belgium

France

Italy

Briar Rose
 What was your favorite fabric collection or print?
Briar Rose by Heather Ross which comes in both woven and knit, it's very versatile because it works for children's garments, doll clothes, quilting, etc.

Briar Rose
Do you have a book, pattern or class from the past year to recommend?
I have a TV show to recommend: The Great British Sewing Bee Season 1 and Christmas Special (I watched them on YouTube), the joy of sewing really shines through.

What are your thoughts about social media? How is it going for you? What do you love or hate?
I would like to spend less time on social media and more time creating. There is so much out there, I can't keep up with it all, personally I'm looking for quality over quantity. Also, I get frustrated when Pinterest links take you nowhere.

Can you tell us anything about what to expect from you in 2014? Any projects or life-changing goals you can share?
  • I'm excited to announce that a sewing project that I designed will be published in the 3rd One Yard Wonders book which is expected to be released in spring 2014.
  • I am really looking forward to watching The Great British Sewing Bee Season 2 which I understand will be showing in spring 2014. And does anyone happen to know when The Great British Sewing Bee book will be available for purchase in the United States?

May 2014 be filled with gorgeous fabrics, lovely sewing patterns, and may your bobbins always be full!