Thursday, January 31, 2013
These Little Geranium dresses are too cute, I just had to sew more… click here to see the first 'bouquet', Little Geranium is a free pattern/tutorial, size 0-3 months, and calls for a skirt with a width of 44", but I only used about 34" for these.
Such a small amount of fabric is needed in order to get a bodice and/or pockets to complete this sewing project, so it's fun to dig through the fabric stash and use up those small pieces of fabrics, like small rectangles of precious Liberty of London fabric…
First dress: bodice and pockets, Liberty of London; skirt, raspberry pink 100% cotton twill
These dresses were made for and will be donated to Dress a Girl Around the World :)
Valentine's day is coming soon… "do small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa
Saturday, January 26, 2013
LEGO Valentine Mailbox Necklace
- 4 "letters": flat 2x1
- Mailbox pieces: gray box with white door
- The LEGO piece needed to make it into a necklace: Black Round Plate 2x2 W/Eye, Element ID: 237626
- 28 inches of red silk cord (I would recommend 28-30 inches for the necklaces, nothing shorter than 28 inches otherwise it will be too tight to go around the head)
- snack size resealable plastic bag
- red card stock, 6 3/8" X 3", 4 circles
- paper cutter
- 1 1/4" circle paper punch
- 3D foam mounting squares
These would also make great birthday party favors, too.
If you are looking for more ideas… I was taking a walk down memory lane and trying to think of all the class Valentine's exchanges from the past. We have done homemade Valentine's for all the class Valentine's exchanges since they started in 2004. Unfortunately I didn't take photos every year, but here are a few photos I found...
|2011 candy mazes|
|2010 lollipop holders|
|2008 Smarties holders|
|2007 lollipop holders|
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Continuing on my mission this week of using my stash of polka dot quilting fabrics, I decided to sew 4 little geranium dresses, a free pattern just released last week. The sewing pattern is size 0-3 months and it calls for a skirt width of 44 inches, but I only used 34-37 inches for these dresses.
I'm liking this (new to me) color combo of red with light blue and gray...
1st dress: bodice: gray with white polka dots, Michael Miller Ta Dot, skirt: blue with white polka dots quilting cotton from JoAnn's, pockets: red with tiny white hexagons, Karen Snyder - Studio Anna Lena for Timeless Treasures Fabrics
These were made for and will be donated to Dress A Girl Around the World because teeny tiny baby girls need dresses, too :)
Make it a great day !
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
an old sewing project out of the abandoned project pile (put in there 3 year ago!!!)
The pattern for this sewing project is called the Simple Dress, from the book Simple Sewing for Baby by Lotta Jansdotter, it's size 24 months, just a simple little polka dot dress (finally) finished with white (store bought) bias tape trim. The vintage fabric is actually polka dotted polka dots, how fun is that??
For the button closure in the back I did a hand sewn button loop.
Feels so good to rescue a failed project, to at last be completed with it. Now this dress will move on and be actually worn as it will be donated to Dress A Girl Around the World.
More bonus points to me as I only used materials from my stash :)
Happy Wednesday, up next more polka dots… when the dresses will be even smaller.
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
THE PATTERN// Paper Fans, size 4. Free pattern ~ gotta love that! I've been wanting to try this sewing pattern ever since it was released in August 2012.
THE FABRICS// skirt: gray with white polka dots, Michael Miller Ta Dot, bodice: yellow with tiny white raindrops, Hoodie's Collection "Raindrops" for Timeless Treasures Fabrics, hem: solid yellow cotton and red grosgrain ribbon
THE SEWING// a little more time consuming than I thought it would be, I like the waist detail and how it is constructed. For the buttons holes I used this tutorial (making a button hole using the zigzag stitch).
Bonus points to me as I only used materials from my stash :)
This dress was made for and will be donated to Dress A Girl Around the World.
Happy Tuesday and see you tomorrow for more polka dots...
Monday, January 14, 2013
- when I think of stripes, I think of: nautical, candy canes, rainbows, Cat in the Hat hat
- stripe smocking
- striped fabric is harder to find than polka dot fabric, when I think of striped fabric, the first fabric that comes to mind is seersucker, then shirting
- If you can't find striped fabric, you could make your own by piecing
- or paint stripes on fabric
- so if you can't find the striped fabric you're looking for how about this idea? replace striped fabric with polka dot fabric, like for the sleeves of a Snow White dress
- Playing with stripes
- Summer (vertical) Stripes Skirt Tutorial
- I absolutely love this striped maxi dress
- striped boy's t-shirt
- horizontal striped bodice dress with vertical striped skirt with pleats
- stripes pinterest board
- when I think of polka dots, I think of: toadstools
- polka dot smocking
- make polka dot fabric
- on white fabric stamp blue polka dots and turn them into blueberries
|polka dot halter|
|polka dot sleeves in place of striped sleeves for Snow White|
|polka dot dress with striped collar|
- striped tunic/dress with one large polka dot pocket called The Circle Pocket Dress
- with casual separates the possibilities are endless: polka dot jacket over a striped shirt, polka dot circle skirt with a striped top, polka dot top with a striped skirt, striped dress with polka dot leggings...
|handknit striped leggings with polka dot dress|
- striped shirting material and orange polka dots dress
- rainbow striped dress sewn out of polka dot fabrics
- striped knit dress with polka dot sleeves and front pocket (polka dots are actually little hearts)
|handknit striped legwarmers and hat with polka dot dress|
- half and half: leggings with one leg stripes and one leg polka dots, half of a shirt stripes and the other half polka dots
- completely reversible dress where one side is polka dots and the other side is stripes
|handknit cardigan with polka dot dress|
- for the boys: striped button shirt with a polka dot tie
|striped shirt with polka dot lined pants|
|polka dot lined pants|